Ms. Stern and our Speech & Debate team are proud to share the results of the Golden Desert Speech and Debate District Championship tournament with you all.
22 schools with a total of 460 entries competed for just 37 slots to Nationals this year. A-TECH claimed SIX of those 37 slots!
Congratulations to our National Qualifiers:
- Senate Congressional Debate – Yaseen Shah
- House Congressional Debate – Matthew Vogel
- House Congressional Debate – Jefrin Jojan
- Lincoln Douglas Debate – Phillip Irving
- Original Oratory – Jaden Nguyen
- Dramatic Interpretation – Jacob Kessler
These students represent the top 3% of competitors in the entire country and will be headed to Dallas this summer for eight days to compete against hundreds of other competitors from around the world in their respective events.
A-TECH is taking twice as many students to Nationals this year as we did last year and six times as many as 2 years ago.
Furthermore, for the second year in a row, A-TECH won the yearlong sweepstakes competition and took home the 1st Place Golden Desert League trophy in Congressional Debate.
Due to the team’s extraordinary showing at the District tournament itself, the team also took home the District Sweepstakes Plaque in Congressional Debate.
A-TECH also took home the 3rd Place Golden Desert League trophy in Policy Debate this year due the to the extraordinary showing of freshman Genevieve Noorigian, Jaqueline Balanovsky, Ethan Stancliff, and Raymond Behnke.
In addition, we had a number of students who advanced beyond preliminary rounds but did not claim one of the other qualifying slots. Please also congratulate the following students for advancing in the competition:
- Lincoln Douglas Debate – Jonah Gentleman
- House Congressional Debate – David Johnson
- House Congressional Debate – Sean Im
- House Congressional Debate – Alejandro Gonzalez Duran
- House Congressional Debate – Joanna Bieda
- House Congressional Debate – Steven Waker
- Foreign Extemporaneous Speaking – Ariana Boorboor
- US Extemporaneous Speaking – David Johnson
- US Extemporaneous Speaking – Yaseen Shah
- Duo Interpretation – Janette Lopez Ramos and Hayden (Bree) Lamoureu